Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tiananmen Square & The Forbidden City

Hello Again,

Yesterday was our first full day in Beijing was spent going to Tiananmen Square & The Forbidden City. It was such a gorgeous day, but cold. We are traveling with 2 other families that are also adopting. Luckily for Kai & Gracie, they have young kids, so they have had all sorts of fun together.


Around our hotel, there are people from all over the world, so we do not stick out too much. Tiananmen Square & The Forbidden City are very popular with Chinese tourists. Some of the Chinese people had never been to a large city before, so we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen. I was asked by a young woman if she could take a picture with me - I felt a little famous :) We also ran into a group of men, visiting from the Hunan Province, who asked where we were from. We were able to communicate with them in Chinese (those lessons are paying off). They were thrilled when we said that we were American's and said that America was great. Below is a photo of us with them.

The Forbidden City is absolutely beautiful and we spent about 3 hours walking around. It is strange for the Chinese to see Caucasian parents walking around with Chinese children. We kept hearing comments from them - very nice, but puzzled because the fact that many Americans adopt children from China is not a well known fact in China.
Here are some more photos of our time yesterday.




Afterwards we went out to a "Western Style" restaurant. Well, the Chinese ideal of American food is quite different from the real thing. They spelled bread "Byed", they had fruit pizza using fruit from a fruitcake, etc. The restaurant was full of Chinese people who probably thought it was the real thing. I wonder if our version of Chinese food is really different from the real thing. I can't really tell a difference.The last thing we did this day was to go on a tour of a "Hutong", which are the actual old dwellings of the Chinese people living in Beijing. It is actually a compound with separate living areas, surrounding a courtyard. In the older days, multiple generations of family members lived together. We rode in rickshaws and then went inside to visit with an actual family in the Hutong. It was a great experience. The old couple we visited were so nice and we took a photo with Mrs. Wong.

We ended the day with crashing at the hotel and ordered room service. The kids have been great. It has really helped that there are other kids for them to play with.

For those of you who have not been to China before, there are some differences between our two cultures that strike me as funny. I will try to share some of them with you each day. Here is my "Chinism" for the day:

According to our guide, the number 8 is very lucky. So, people try to have their cell phone # end with the number 8. To do this, they have to pay 2 - 3 times more than the regular rate. On the other hand, the number 4 is considered unlucky. So, if you have 4's in your cell phone #, you get a discounted rate.

I will post soon about our day at the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs. We also had a great time shopping today. More soon.

Thank you so much for your comments and support. They mean so much to us.

Noelle

7 comments:

YvetteC said...

You guys are so lucky to have great weather! When we were there in January 2007 it was freezing!! Your children look happy. Of your group, are you the only ones going to Hunan?

How wonderful to wake up to a new blog entry as it is 8 am here in the USA! The lady from the Hutong tour looks like the one we met. Did she have a tank of turtles in her living room?

We continue to keep your family in our prayers. AnAn will be thrilled to have two sibling there to play with. Get ready for your real Chinese language lesson, she's waiting for you. Have a good trip to Changsha, you will love the Dolton Hotel!

Love, Yvette

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I am so impressed that you learned some Chinese and could communicate with the locals!! (I tried to learn some, but I simply could not hear the difference in tones and gave up.) I love your description of the "American" restaurant. We are still praying for you...especially for your meeting with An An. Keep the blogs coming!

Forrest

Brett and Jennifer Humphrey said...

Hi Guys,
What fun to hear about your travels. I'm so glad that Gracie and Kai are enjoying their new friends. That will make their trip so much more enjoyable and yours too!
We had a great time with Rachele. She bought rollerblades and new shoes with her birthday money. She misses you and being in China, but is glad she stayed home to keep up with school. What a wonderful daughter you have!
We are so excited to hear about your first meeting with AnAn.

Love to all,

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I logged in yesterday morning to check and see if there was a blog and I was so sad to see there wasn't one yet! I woke up this morning and I was so excited to see two! Seeing your pictures makes me jealous that I'm not there with you....It reminded me of when we went to get Kai. They look so cute in their jackets. Are you all having a hard time with jet lag? Everything is ok here. Rachele is coming over one of the nights when she's not busy. We decorated our tree yesterday and I can't wait for you to come and see it! After I got off work (I had to go in at 5am!) I went to the mvd to change my license and then I went shopping for the apartment with our gift cards. We are doing the rest of it today so I am excited. When you get back, there is this house that Jeff's parents know of that has an awesome christmas light thing. You could take the kids to see it!

I miss you a lot and I hope you come home soon but I'm really excited for you to get Ruthie too. :-)
Love,
Brittney

Grace said...

This is Rachele!! Looks like you guys are having fun. I'm playing video games with Jason right now. I miss you - see you when you get back.

Grace said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. I'm so pleased that Kai and Gracie are enjoying themselves with their new friends.

We're having fun with Rachele. She's playing video games with Jason right now.

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting Ruthie very soon. Love the updates - keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog! I feel like I am there with all of you. I was especially touched by this line: "She was asked if she wanted us to be her mother & father and she said yes." Wow! I almost cried when I read those words. What a history is embedded in that one line! She hardly understands what she is saying, may not have motives beyond getting out of the orphanage, and yet by agreeing to that one thing her entire life will be completely different! (A bit like us agreeing that we want God to be our Father and our whole history is changed!) What a precious moment. And I love the little bed between you both...how special! May the rest of your time be blessed and your readjustment to Phoenix be easy.

Forrest