Sunday, December 2, 2007

Shopping in Guangzhou

Hello,

Our day began with Todd meeting with our guide to fill out the US visa paperwork. So, while he was doing that, the kids and I worked on some homework. For Ruthie, I wrote out her name so that she could practice writing it. Well, she filled out the entire page with her name; about 25 times. She is very willing to learn English and is already incorporating it into her everyday language.



She is also not using chopsticks as much. She is now only using them when she eats noodles. I loved the fact that she uses chopsticks, but understand that she is emulating us and is not using them as much. She continues to do very well.

Okay, today I went out into the city of Guangzhou with my personal shopper, Ann. Oh boy, did I have fun. She met me at our hotel and we took a taxi first to the shopping street which is kind of a swap meet with a roof. It was a real Chinese experience. I purchased some items there and had fun looking around. Ann did all the negotiating for me and she was tough. She got me great deals. It is kind of hard for me to bargain because the items are already relatively inexpensive, so I feel guilty for trying to pay less.

Our next stop was at a marketplace, which is kind of like 4 floors of a really nice swap meet. This was where the best shopping was. I had prepared myself ahead of time and brought my list for Christmas shopping. There are silk shops, home decor shops, toy shops, jewelry shops and tons more. There are also shops where you can by real designer purses and wallets (okay, they were really knock offs). The quality was quite good because most of the items we buy in the US is exactly the same thing. The difference is that in China, it is about 1/8 of the price. My father, who loved swap meets, would have been in absolute heaven.

I had given Ann the list of what I wanted to get and she would make a beeline for that particular store. So, I would hurry to keep up with her, but would pass so many other little shops that I wanted to see, that it was hard. We did double back a few times. The Chinese people take negotiating very seriously so Ann would sometimes nudge me to keep me from acting interested in a particular item while she was negotiating the price.

We had to take a taxi to the next place, where they sell DVD's and CD's. I wanted some DVD's & CD's in Chinese for Ruthie. So we went to an electronics place. It was indoors and there were individual stalls where the shops were set up. We went to a vendor that Ann knew and she led us from her shop inside the store to a little house in a dark alley, just outside of the store. I started to get a little worried, but Ann said that all the Americans come to buy the copied DVD's and they were in the house. It was interesting, because there were lots of people in this little house buying DVD's. All the DVD's I saw were already released on DVD, but they were in little plastic sleeves with the movie label on the front. Ann told me that they sell the copied DVD's for 5 yuan each (approximately .75 cents each).

I asked her if they had original movies (legal DVD's) and she said yes, but both she and the shop owner were confused about why I would want to buy the legal DVD's. I told her that I was more comfortable buying the legal DVD's and then I told her my husband was a police officer and she said that she understood. We went back into the store and bought legal copies of DVD's (in Mandarin (Chinese)), for Ruthie. I bought 9 Disney movies, 3 Hello Kitty movies, 10 Tom & Jerry movies (they are really popular in China), and 6 Barbie movies. Ann helped me to pick out three different 3 CD sets with Chinese songs for Ruthie that were popular with children. With her negotiating power, I paid $31 for all of it ; the movies and CD's. I honestly thought it would be a lot more and I was willing to pay it because I think it will be nice for Ruthie, once we get home to have them, especially when she is surrounded by nothing but English television, music, etc.

My personal shopper, Ann cost only $31 for 3 1/2 hours of shopping, which was money well spent. I had such a great time and I hardly spent anything. I got some great Christmas shopping done.


While I was shopping, Todd took the kids to the park. Kai had playing ball with 3 Chinese boys. It didn't matter that they couldn't speak each other's language. *Kai is wearing the short-sleeve red shirt.
Tomorrow, Ruthie has to go in for a physical, which is a requirement of the US government. They will be giving her a eye examination and will hopefully be able to tell us more about her eyesight. The examinations are done by Chinese doctors. She really squints from time to time, especially when she is focusing on things a few feet away.


Last night, as she went to sleep, she arranged her two dolls right next to her.

We are still having a nice time, but are really looking forward to coming home. We ordered Papa John's pizza for dinner and will then probably watch some games. Ruthie loves playing games. "Go Fish" is her absolute favorite. Right now, her favorite Chinese program is on and she is dancing around like the happy girl she is.

My "Chinism" for today is toilet paper. For some reason, toilet paper is at a premium here. Many regular restrooms do not have toilet paper, so you need to bring your own. In hotels, even nice ones, you only get one smallish roll in the bathroom. They leave no extra roll for you in case you run out. You need to call for housekeeping to supply you with another one if you run out. *In Beijing, our guide told us that some regular people make toilet paper and sell it, but you do not want to buy it from them because you do not know what material it is made of. On a related note - Gracie was so excited to use a Chinese "squatty potty" the other day. Some public restrooms have both Chinese & Western style toilets. However, some only have the Chinese style.

Two "Chinisms" that I particularly like is that you do not tip taxi drivers and you also do not tip at restaurants.

Thank you again for your prayers, comments & support. We look forward to seeing you all soon.

Noelle

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Johnson clan! So glad the photos came through. The one of Todd/Ruthie was in front of such a stunning building. Made me want to take a trip to China, which I have never wanted to do before. Also, the one with Kai playing with the boys...he's probably going to end up in politics...Secretary of State! It's 26 degrees in Philly this morning, first snowfall overnight, but now it's freezing rain. The Eagles play in a few hours, here, and everyone hopes it will just be rain. Ice pellets aren't too good with football! Noelle, shopper that I am, your expedition sounds really spectacular. When I was in Turkey, I needed guiding...I just kept paying the marked price...such a fool. Enjoy your last few days. You really have been there a long time. How soon before Jennifer & family come up? Love you and am praying with great joy! Kathryn

Grace said...

Your shopping adventure sounded like a lot of fun Noelle! And I love the pictures you posted. The picture of Ruthie sleeping with her little dolls is precious.

USC is going to the Rose Bowl and since ASU beat U of A last night (woohoo!) they could be invited to the Fiesta Bowl - wouldn't that be great?

We're getting antsy for you all to return and are pleased that it will be in just a few short days. Love, Grace

Brett and Jennifer Humphrey said...

Hello Johnson family,
I am so glad that things are going so well in Guangzhou. We really loved the city because we had more freedom and we were one step closer to home. I'm glad that Kai made some friends at the park, it sounds like the kids are having fun. That picture of Ruthie was so cute, I can't wait to meet her. Last night, as Sofie was praying, she thanked God that she would soon get to "touch" An An. We are so excited that these two friends will be cousins. We can't wait to see you guys. Enjoy your last couple of days.
Love,
Brett and Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had so much fun with your personal shopper I am so happy that you bought Heroes that is so great. I really liked the picture of Dad and Ruthie in front of the building looks like you guys are having a lot of fun.
Love you,
Rachele

Brittney Lockridge said...

That picture of Dad and Ruthie is so CUTE! She looks so happy! It made me laugh even MORE because i could see Dad's carmel frappucino light in his hand! Has Ruthie enjoyed Starbucks or is it just for the grown ups? I can only imagine Gracie with the squatty potty! I'm glad she wasn't afraid to use it! Kai looked so cute playing ball with those kids! I'm glad you are in Guanzhou now...it seems like it would be so much more comfortable...like you are that much closer to home. :-) Come home soon! I can't WAIT for Friday!! We'll have such a fun day hanging out! Oh, and that Heroes DVD was a STEAL! I check at Target yesterday and it's $50!! How awesome you got it for $43 less!
I love you guys!
~Britt~
P.S. Dad! I have to talk to you about Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Noelle! The pictures are wonderful. That personal shopper experience sounds great--I may have to try that sometime.

Blessings on all of you!

Forrest

Anonymous said...

I think I sometimes need a personal shopper here! I can't imagine how much I would have to pay for that per hour. . .and I certainly wouldn't get to negotiate! Good job Noelle! I bet you guy are just getting so excited to get home with Ruthie. She will get an introduction to Christmas music, baking cookies, and seeing lights up on houses and trees. It will be such an experience for her!
Gracie is so brave to use the squatty-potty! I can't say that I would choose the same! It makes me think of trash bags and cat litter in the toilets (that we almost had to use!!)! I just laugh when I think of that! We can't wait to hear how Ruthie's physical went.
Love you guys!
-Scott and Marisue

dbaresta said...

Hi An An,
I liked seeing the picture of you sleeping with your dolls. Maybe we can both bring dolls to play together to the reunion next year and candy. I will share with you. Maybe we can also bring princess dress to play in too. Do you like snacks? In America we have lots of snacks. I have a lot of favorites.
I have a chinese little sister and 3 brothers. I have a lot of friends at school. I am learning to read english and my teachers say I'm doing a good job with my english. You will too.
Bye!
Love, Danielle (Bo Bo)